Position: Study Nurse
* International Medical Corps (IMC), in collaboration with the Harvard School of Public Health (USA) and Epicentre (France), will be supporting a research study, “Reducing the frequency of follow up and task sharing in the treatment of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition.” The aim of the research study is to test a new model of care, using a monthly schedule of follow-up with caregiver support for at-home surveillance in the treatment of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition (SAM). The research study will be conducted in Sokoto state (Wamako and Binji LGAs) beginning in June 2017.
* IMC seeks to recruit Study Nurses to implement study activities at selected health centers. Study Nurses will be responsible for the implementation of all study procedures at the study site and coordination with partner staff (IMC and SMoH) to ensure proper application of the study protocol and national CMAM guidelines.
* This is position will be based at a single outpatient therapeutic program (OTP) site or stabilization center (SC) but can include travel to community locations as needed.
Plan and organize study activities at designated site on a daily and weekly basis, in liaison with SMoH, LGA authorities and health facility staff and IMC nutrition supervisor, including but not limited to:
* Evaluate study eligibility among children admitted to OTP by program staff
* Take informed consent and enroll eligible children with consent
* Deliver educational sessions for caregiver home surveillance (5 sites with monthly follow-up only)
* Assure adherence to correct schedule of outpatient follow-up (e.g. monthly vs. weekly) as per site assignment
* Support IMC nurse supervisor, care group promoters and community volunteers to ensure appropriate home follow-up of children based on the study protocol
* Work closely with program health facility staff and IMC nutrition officer to ensure correct implementation of study procedures and national CMAM protocol, including program staff implementation of anamnesis, physical examination, verification of vaccination status, admission/discharge criteria, educational counselling on OTP key messages and IYCF and hygiene to caretakers, and clinical management/transfer to SC
* Monitor and assure adequate study-related equipment and stocks at sites
* Complete and validate study questionnaires on a daily basis to ensure data collected is complete, consistent and accurate
* Organize and securely maintain all individual records on site until child discharge
* Prepare and record individual records to be transferred for data entry at discharge
* Maintain close communication with Field Investigator, study nurse supervisor and IMC staff to track study progress, monitor logistical needs/study supplies at site, and anticipate challenges
* Prepare site reports on a weekly basis with complete, consistent and accurate information
* Ensure respect for the dignity of CMAM beneficiaries, study participants and program staff
* Backstop nurse supervisor or other study nurses when necessary
* Other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Experience
* Registered Nurse with a Certificate in Nursing froma recognized Nurse training institute ,food science or any other related Natural Sciences and over two (2) years’ experience in CMAM programs.
* Valid and current practicing license
* Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa is a MUST
* Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Should be a team player and culturally sensitive
* Ability to respect confidentiality of data collected and dignity of participants and beneficiaries is essential
* Extremely flexible, motivated and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
* Experience with research is a plus
* Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, and spreadsheets
Application Closing Date
24th May, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications and CV’s addressed to the “Human Resource Manager”, International Medical Corps via: email@example.com
* Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, otherwise applications will not be considered.
* Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
About International Medical Corps (IMC)
International Medical Corps (IMC), is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.