Position: Health Clinical Assistant
Location: Mubi – Adamawa
Start Date: 2 June 2017
Duration: 12 Months with possible extension
Scope of Work
* The Health Clinical Assistant is responsible for overseeing health care activities in 2 IRC supported health facilities in Adamawa State and Borno State.
* Responsibilities will include day to day support to health facilities, monitoring of activities, report making, coordination with other sectors and government authorities as well as close collaboration with health facility staff and managers.
* The Health Clinical Assistant will have no line management responsibilities and reports to the Health Manager.
* The position is based in Mubi with regular trips to IRC’s health programs throughout Adamawa State, Askira Uba ( Borno state ) and other parts of Nigeria as needed.
* In collaboration with the other health program staff in Nigeria, oversee the implementation of health projects implemented by IRC Nigeria.
* In collaboration with the Health Manager, ensure that health programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as outlined by the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) and WHO. Ensure that all health activities are consistent with established best practices.
* Promote the quality of the IRC’s health programs by following the measures put in place in collaboration with other staff and the IRC health unit.
* Ensure sound data collection and information management systems are in place for ongoing monitoring of health programme activities
* Participate in the design of robust M&E plans and design/adapt health information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC health programs in Nigeria
* Contribute to the growth of the IRC health programme in Nigeria through quality implementation of project activities, adequate monitoring and timely reporting as needed, working in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program.
* Conduct regular supportive supervision to all supported health facilities, provide mentoring and technical support and appropriate feedback as needed.
* Work with the Health Manager to ensure appropriate use of programme resources
* Organise planned trainings for health staff and ensure that FMOH and WHO guidelines are used for all trainings which should be delivered in a quality manner.
* Support the set up of use of FMOH clinical guidelines in all health facilities, providing mentoring as required to improve compliance.
* Undertake 6 monthly inventory management assessments (IMAT) in each supported health facility and discuss implications of the results.
* Follow all IRC guidelines, programme and budget management tools
* Ensure a good working relationship with all stakeholders involved in service provision to supported health facilities in Adamawa State.
* Ensure the consistent use of the IRC grant management guidelines during programme implementation.
* College Diploma in Nursing /Midwifery/Clinical Medicine
* At least 5 Years work experience in health programs both at clinical and community based programs, working in maternal and child health, drugs and medical supplies management and other primary Health care components is preferable
* Thorough knowledge and understanding Health Policy of Nigeria
* Previous experience working in Northern Nigeria, willingness to work in Northern Nigeria
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills
* Experience delivering MCH and related trainings to health staff using national or WHO guidelines
* NGO work experience is an advantage
* Should be able to use Microsoft Office especially MS-WORD, EXCEL,POWERPOINT
* Able to communicate in English language (written and spoken ); Knowledge of local languages is a plus
* Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, be flexible , and adaptability to transitions.
About The International Rescue Committee (“IRC”)
The International Rescue Committee (“IRC”) is an international non-profit organization with its headquarters at 122 East 42nd Street, New York, NY 10168 with its Country Head office located at Plot No. 902 Olu Awotesu Street, Off Idris Ibrahim Crescent, Jabi District, Abuja.
Whilst in Yobe state, the IRC is currently implementing exclusively protection related activities. These interventions have benefited thousands of beneficiaries since 2014.For its current health program, the IRC is supporting the State Primary Health Care Development Agencies of Adamawa and Borno States in increasing access to health care for the conflict affected populations. From its Mubi office, the IRC provides support to primary health care facilities including rehabilitation and maintenance works to the infrastructure. For these rehabilitation works, the IRC is seeking a qualified and suitable candidates to fill the vacant position below: